New Word #110
There are a lot of words to describe different patterns of color, shades, arrangement, style, and material. However I only collected a few. Whenever I want to describe certain pattern, I often feel that I am lost for words. For example, how to describe the fall foliage, a table with tree rings, a marble counter of yellow and brown background and occasional patches of other color etc.
chiaroscuro: pattern of light and shade in a painting. I rarely see this word being used actually.
motley: incongruously varied in appearance or character.
checkered: squares of alternating colors.
variegated: displaying different colors in irregular shapes and patches.
striated, striped, streaked
- striated: marked with long, thin parallel streaks.
- striped: having stripes
- streaked: having a long, thin line or mark of a different substance or color from its surroundings
speck, speckle, fleck, freckle
- speckled: covered or marked with a large number of small spots or patches of color.
- freckled: covered with freckles
mottled: marked with spots or smears of color.
Dalmatian: a dog of a white, short-haired breed with dark spots.
stipple: mark (a surface) with numerous small dots or specks.
brindle, tabby, tuxedo (to describe a cat)
- brindle: a brownish or tawny color of animal fur, with streaks of other color.
- tabby: a cat whose fur is mottled or streaked with dark stripes.
- tuxedo: distinct black and white bi-colored coats that resemble a tuxedo